Friday 8 June 2012

Caramel sauce - sticky smooth liquid gold

Until 2 days ago I had not made my own caramel sauce. I always thought it was difficult and troublesome. I now know I was wrong, it is way too easy and quick which makes it another luxurious, rich and dangerous recipe to have in my arsenal of good things that could be bad for you. I have to employ strength to consume in moderation. From not making any to making 2 lots in 2 days is not consuming in moderation but I did not eat it all I promise you, it was essential for other recipes I was playing around with.

By learning how to make it you can now always have freshly made caramel sauce for recipes that call for it like a pecan pie or filling for macarons or for sauce on ice cream or for days when a spoonful of caramel is what is needed - and let me tell you, I have the odd day or 3. This is how I made my caramel sauce.

Caramel Sauce
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cream
100g butter

**** please use a big heavy base saucepan as the mixture bubbles and rises a lot when butter and cream is added and could potentially spill over or burn you ****
1. In the saucepan add water and sugar and place on high heat. I give it a good stir and then leave it to boil. Do not stir when it's boiling.

2. Keep an eye on the saucepan as the colours will start changing from clear to gold to brown very fast.

3. When the colour reaches a dark gold add butter. Be careful as the mixture will start bubbling rapidly. Stir with whisk or wooden spoon. Once butter is melted and incorporated remove saucepan from heat.

4. Now add cream but slowly and be careful as more bubbling and spitting and rising will happen even though it's not on the heat anymore. Stir well and once sauce is not bubbling anymore transfer to jar and let cool.

* Should keep in fridge for a week or so but will it last that long?
**The sauce will get hard as it cools but a few seconds in the microwave will bring it to smooth runny goldeny goodness.









No comments:

Post a Comment