Friday 8 June 2012

Pie pops - stick it on a stick

I have learnt judging from the my kid's and their friend's expressions that anything you stick on a stick is instantly agreeable and extra delicious. When I decided to try my hand at pie pops I took inspiration from the very creative and clever people at Luxirare and Bakerella.

I must admit that I my first attempt was rather dismal. I made pecanamel (pecan and caramel for those of you who use real English) pie pops. The filling was really delicious but my crimping abilities to seal the pies left a lot to be desired for as all the caramel oozed out of the pies and left me with little cushiony pastry with dry nuts in it. Big apologies to my dear friend Jo who was my taste tester, I sent her home with a few samples for the family. Sorry!!

The next day I was adamant that I was going to do better and make pie pops that would not ooze filling at all and I am so please to say that I succeeded. I realised where I went wrong and rectified the problem. I was not sealing the edges well enough and making them in too much of a hurry so I slowed down and paid more attention and it worked a charm. This time I made 2 more fillings for variety. I made some bananamel (banana and caramel) pies and also some Nutella ones. I made them for our fortnightly gathering of twins at playgroup and I can happily say the children enjoyed the Nutella ones and the Mum's the banana ones as I had a bowl of caramel sauce for extra drizzle.

Pie Pops

6 sheets of puff or shortcrust pastry - I used store bought
about 30 lollipop sticks ( 6 inches )
1 egg beaten with a little water or milk (for egg wash)

Pecan caramel filling
3 handfuls of pecan nuts chopped
4-5 tablespoons of caramel sauce





Banana caramel filling
1 large banana mashed
3-4 tablespoons of caramel sauce





Nutella filling

4 tablespoons Nutella
3 tablespoons icing sugar






1. To make pecan filling simple chop pecans and stir caramel sauce through.

2. To make banana filling is just as easy, just mix banana and caramel.

3. Nutella filling not as easy, still easy though. Mix Nutella and icing sugar. Rolled into a log and wrap in plastic and freeze for about half hour. Then cut disc of Nutella when ready for pies as it's easier to work with when it's cold and hard.

4. Use cookie cutter and punch out circles. A sheet of pastry should yield about 9-10 circles.

5. Place circles on parchment paper and place lollipop sticks on to about middle of circle. Spoon filling on but do not overfill.

6. Dip finger in water and run along the edge of circle and place another circle on top and seal. (this is where I went wrong the first time, did not seal with water and overfilled pies)

To make life easier I would cut all circles out, then do each step in bulk instead of making one complete pie as it takes up more time I think.





7. Once sealed properly use the end on a lollipop stick and press down along the edge to form a nice pattern. You could use a fork if you prefer. Brush with egg wash.

8. Bake in 180 degrees oven for about 15 minutes or until pies are puffy and golden brown.





No comments:

Post a Comment