Monday 14 May 2012

Smorgastata - The Birthday Cake for he who does not like sweet things.

Smorgastata
It takes all sorts of people in this world, I get that .. I may not understand all of them but variety is the spice of life after all. One particular breed of people I do not fully understand are those of the "I do not like sweet things" ilk. Yes, hard to imagine but they are out there. Stranger yet, I am married to one of them!!

My dear husband turns 4* today (best I do not reveal his age without permission) and although he does eat the odd sweet thing he really is a savoury man. I wanted to make him a nice birthday cake of some sort and was hurting my brain as to what to make when it hit me. He loves smoked fish, I love cake .... let's make a smokey fishy creamy cake!! That was when I remembered the Smorgastata.

A Smorgastata is a Swedish Sandwich Cake. If I make this sandwich cake it would become our meal and because it will look like a cake I'll pop a candle (or several dozen) and it'll also be the "cake" du jour. 2 birds 1 stone and all .. I'm all about multifunction!

My inspiration came from a recipe I saw on panini happy and like all recipes I want to try there will be adjustments and adaptations be it for the fact some items can't be found where I am or I like more of something or less of something else or for no real reason other than I just felt like it. Here is my offering of a Smorgastata.

Happy Birthday my darling Husband!!

1 rectangle Vienna loaf (go round if you prefer)
smoked salmon
cooked prawns
cucumber
pickled onions
gherkin
red capsicum
radishes
jarlsberg cheese
smoked trout or herring mousse (I didn't have any so I used smoked salmon and dill dip)
mayo
mustard
iceberg lettuce
cream cheese
sour cream
* basically anything you want
** do not season with salt as it will be salty enough
*** I did not write how much of each ingredient is required as being what is effectively a sandwich it really does depend on how much you want

1. Cut loaf of bread into 3 even layers, remove the crust.
2. Then all you need to do is basically layer the ingredients and make the biggest fishiest creamiest sandwich ever.
3. Make "icing"  for the cake by mixing cream cheese and sour cream to a consistency that is easy to ice a cake with.
4. Ice "cake" and garnish.
5. Attach candle, sing song to husband .... another year, another adventure.








No comments:

Post a Comment