Thursday 24 May 2012

Rainbow - just add water

 
It's twin playgroup day again and that means making something to share with my fabulous twinnies family. I was going to make a Malteser Slice but didn't get to the shops as the weather has been apocalyptic. I know, I know, rain and storm should not stop one from buying Maltesers, shame on me. So I had to get inspiration from my pantry and lo and behold I had 5 different colours of packet jelly crystals. I had seen a photo of colourful jelly made in hollowed oranges and since my fruit basket had loads of orange fresh from the market I knew I just had to give this rainbow jelly a try.

Now I must stress, the degree of difficulty for this dish is 2 or out 10. Try not to break a sweat.Not for the actual jelly making as you just fo llow the steps on the packet but for the hollowing out of the oranges. A little tricky but after the first 1 or 2 you'll get the hang of it and it becomes a breeze.  I love easy recipes with instant wow effect.

This is not an original recipe, just type jello wedges in Google and you'll see hundreds of examples but it was the first for me. And after weeks of hardly seeing the sun, being pelted by heavy rain and blown away by gale forced winds I thought it was time for a rainbow .... out of a packet or otherwise.

Rainbow Jelly 

10 oranges
5 x packet of coloured jelly crystals

1. Use a sharp knife to hollow out the oranges

2. Do it over a bowl to collect the juices and keep segments for other recipes, juicing or simply to eat.

3. Follow instructions on jelly packet. I used 5 different colours and flavours.

4. Place in orange moulds and chill according to packet instructions.
** I made 1 colour in 2 halves and put the balance in a separate mould**

5. Slice with a sharp knife as a blunt one will make cutting into the orange skin difficult and you'll potentially ruin the jelly.

6. Serve to your kids and their friends, wait for 10 minutes, sit back and watch all that colouring take effect and think "surely those aren't my kids?"



No comments:

Post a Comment