Saturday 5 May 2012

Turkish delight actually is delightful ... who knew?

For the longest time - forever really - I could not stand the smell of rosewater, found it too floral and sweet for my liking.  I had avoided eating Turkish Delight and just could not understand anyone who swore at how delicious it was. All this changed yesterday.

I had a friend come for a visit who was not really a dessert person but when I found out that she liked Turkish Delight and found a recipe that she could have with it in it I had to make it for her. So I made Turkish Delight Meringues.

After making it I waited for someone to taste it as I didn't know if it was any good since I swore that rosewater and Turkish Delight would never pass my lips. My husband and friend insisted I try one so after a lot of annoying pestering I gave in. I screwed up my nose, distorted my face and was ready to spit it out BUT .... when that crunchy meringue skin crumbled between my teeth and the soft middle melted on my tongue and the explosion of flavours from the rosewater and the little bits of Turkish Delight and pistachio nuts danced on my palate I had to admit that I was wrong. I had wasted years of not having this amazing flavour combination in my life. NO MORE I said .... as I proceeded to eat most of what was baked!!


TURKISH DELIGHT MERINGUES

4 x egg whites (room temperature please)
1 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 teaspoon rosewater
100g Turkish Delight (chopped into teeny bits)
1/4 cup (or more if you're like me) of pistachio kernels chopped into small and medium bits for texture

1. Oven is to be preheated to 120 degrees and line a tray with baking paper
2. Beat egg whites to soft peaks and then add sugar. Beat until sugar is dissolved and firm peaks form. Mixture should be glossy and thick.
3. Fold in cornflour, vinegar, rosewater and Turkish Delight.
4. Use a tablespoon and drop dollops of mixture onto greased tray. Ths mix should yield 12 very generous size meringues but if you like smaller bite sized ones line a second tray and make smaller dollops. Sprinkle pistachio generous on top.
5. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes ad then turn oven off. Leave meringues in oven to cool.
6. When cooled, meringues should be crusty on the outside, marshmallowey and gooey inside and the whole meringue when popped in your mouth should make you weak at the knees .. true story!!   :)


1 comment:

  1. oo oo I bet those pistachios really change the whole feel...like you not a rosewater fan but you've inspired me...thanks, cute blog I love your background yummy lime cakes I presume?

    ReplyDelete